I did ACTUALLY make this dish for Taco Tuesday which I HIGHLY recommend you do the same! This dish is easily altered for your taste buds! Feel free to add more or less of something if you’d like, add in a new ingredient, or really just make it your own! This works well for us! It has just the right amount of spice.
- 4 Boneless Skinless chicken breasts
- 12 small Tortillas
- 1 large can Green Chile Enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 small can of Jalapenos (we used half of the jar)
- 2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper (to liking)
- First, boil water in a large pot. Add chicken to pot until chicken is fully cooked. The chicken will be fully white. Take out and cut in center to ensure it is cooked through. (This is the LONGEST part of this entire process) So get a head start on this step when making dinner, the rest can be done at your leisure!
- Once chicken is fully cooked and cooled enough for you to work with, shred chicken with a knife and fork. Throw chicken into a mixing bowl. Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper. I like to season and toss with my hands. Add garlic powder, chili powder, and cayenne pepper; and again toss.
- Add sour cream and cream cheese. Stir to combine. Pour in half the jar of jalapenos ( if you prefer, use the entire jar or substitute with green chiles)
- Drain can of black beans and pour drained jar into the chicken mixture. Toss in the cheese as well. Once that is combined, set aside.
- In a glass baking dish, pour the enchilada sauce (just enough to evenly coat the base) Place 6 tortillas into the sauce. Turn the tortillas over a few times to coat them with the sauce.
- Next, spoon your chicken mixture over the tortillas. Pat down to evenly spread across the top. (You’ll have about half the bowl left over)
- Repeat, the second layer of tortillas. Add 6 tortillas to top of chicken mixture. Pour the remainder of the enchilada sauce on top.
- Add the remaining chicken to the top layer of tortillas. Bake the dish at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.
** Feel free once the time is up and dish is looking/feeling hot enough to serve. Add more shredded cheese to top and bake again until cheese is fully melted.
This dish will NOT be served like nice beautiful pieces, but more like big delicious globs and I’m A-OK with that!
Great the next day too!